Friday, September 12, 2008

Walk the line

So, in an effort to save money and the world, I have been avoiding my vehicle this month. It's easier than one might imagine but I have found myself in several situation that I wish had not happened. The first of these was Wednesday morning when I decided to borrow Darrell's bike and ride to youth prayer breakfast. This was not a bad idea, except that it's an hour ride into town. Therefore, in order to be at prayer breakfast by 7:00 a.m., I left at 5:35 a.m. Again, no big deal, except that at 5:35 it's pretty good and dark outside still. Also, Hwy 334 does not really offer a lot in the way of road lighting. For this reason my ride down 334 was scary, to say the least. Due to the darkness, I very literally nearly hit a deer. Also, cars do not slow down for you if they can't see you. In any event, I made it safely to Phillip's Grocery for breakfast and then bummed a ride back to camp with Kelli, our office manager (this is not the only time she has stepped up to be a hero in my life).

Later that day, I returned to town via Kelli and went to youth group. All was good until I stubbornly passed up my ride home. This meant that I had three choices: walk back to camp, sleep on the street, or walk to J and Tyler's. (Option #4: call someone for a ride, never occurred to me). I felt as if J and Tyler's was the closest option, other than sleeping on the street which is pretty much a no go. So walk I did. From the square to that side of Ole Miss' campus was a piece of cake. But then I kept walking, and walking, and walking and... you get the point. Finally, after walking for about an hour I came upon a parking lot. I just knew I had to be close. As I continued to walk I found myself still far away from my intended destination. So, finally getting to Jackson Ave, I walked and walked and walked some more. One hour and forty-five minutes after I began my quest for the air mattress, I arrived. It was glorious.

I think that, perhaps, I slept more peacefully knowing that I had accomplished this great feat on my feet. (pun intended)

The no car thing is good. It's working. My knee, however, is not. I may have to break down and start burning fossil fuels again. It's sad. In the near as possible future, I will be investing in transportation that is not so harmful to God's world.

My name is Samantha Lewis and I may have to burn more fossil fuel.

No comments: