Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Land of Milk and Honey

So I didn't get any posting done toward the end of my stay in Oklahoma, but it was a good stay. I really enjoyed seeing my grandparents and spending time with them, although it was definitely time to head out Monday. Tuesday night I stayed with Morgan, a friend that used to go to HC. It was so good to see her and spend some time there. It was also nice to have a stopping point between TX and CA. She has a Tibetan Mastiff that is HUGE and the cutest St. Bernard puppy of all time.
Yesterday Mr. Joe and I got started about 7:00 Pacific Standard Time. We had a pretty good journey, stopped at Denny's for breakfast, always a plus. As we got close to Dad's in Lompoc, CA I lived out this analogy which I will someday use in a sermon:

Dad had been telling me that this place where he was living was the land of milk and honey. He said it was beautiful and the weather was wonderful and nothing compares. I, of course, took him at his word and assumed he was correct. The journey to Lompoc was fine, there were spots of clouds and spots where the clouds would break and there would be sunshine. There were flat lands, hills to climb and times I drove through valleys. Then, as I was within about 45 minutes of the "promised land" a giant cloud of gloom covered the sky as far as I could see. The grayness surrounded me and was overwhelmingly depressing. I began to think that Dad was wrong about this land of beauty and that maybe he hadn't been completely honest with me. After all of the talk I was beginning to think that my dad had failed me. Then, just as I thought the gloom would never lift I looked out onto the coast. I could see where the cloud ended and at that very spot the sun danced on the water with a brilliance that I cannot now, nor will I ever be able to describe. It was like receiving a glimpse of heaven. As I continued to drive I came to more and more sunshine. The beauty of it was amazing and I found that I had nothing to doubt, I just needed to drive through the gloom so that i could experience the brilliance of the sunshine.

My name is Samantha Lewis and I am trusting in the promise of my father.

No comments: