Sunday, April 5, 2009

CloverJam Time

This is a post from yesterday that wouldn't go up until now:
Huntingdon, in all of it's success and failure, at least recognizes that there were traditions here at one point in time. The theme for this year's reunion "Different, but Still the Same: 100 Great Years of May Day,Homecoming, Reunion, and CloverJam in Montgomery." Homecoming used to be in the spring and it was lovely. Girls dressed up on the stage on the green, a celebration of coming home, glorious. 3 or 4 years ago Huntingdon decided that since we now had a football team we needed to do homecoming in the fall. They now do the whole prance out on the football field in heels thing. It's fine, whatever. To subdue those who were angered about this (like me) Huntingdon decided to have a reunion weekend during the spring. It occurred to the powers that be that in order to get people to come there would have to be a significant event. Thus CloverJam was created. An opportunity for students, alumni, and the cloverdale community to crowd the streets of Fairview Avenue and participate in fellowship at its best.

All of that brings us to this year when it was decided that the event needed to be moved on campus to avoid debauchery and so that it would just be the Huntingdon community. Also, they decided to get a big band. What became of this? CloverJamXL. Yeah. They were like "throw an 'XL' on the end of there, nobody will know the difference." Haha... oh Huntingdon. My dear sweet Huntingdon. The big band- Sister Hazel. I will quote my friend JD here "Sam, who is Sister Hazel?" Student tickets-free, alumni tickets-$10, community tickets-$20. Keep in mind that part of the reason we moved the event was so that it would only be the Huntingdon Community and then we proceeded to sell tickets to the public... my dear, sweet Huntingdon. All proceeds go to benefit the MDA, which I'm ALL FOR. HOWEVER, I question the amount of proceeds we're going to bring in. But I hope for the best. ALSO, for an alumni event, shouldn't we charge the students before we charge the alumni? Just a thought. AND to add insult to serious injury, they've banned dogs from the event. Mr. Joe is crushed! He loves CloverJam.

My response to everything has been rather rational, something I'm not accustomed to. I organized a group of people to write letters to the college expressing out concern. I'm not sure if anyone else sent a letter, but I did. I got a response that was basically "thanks for your concern, we're doing this anyway." It was, however, kind of them to send a response. Then, I gave up. There was no fighting this one. I have purchased my ticket and will be attending the student acts from 6:00-8:00. These happen to include the Jennifer Moody Band which I'm STOKED about. I am not going to Sister Hazel. Not that I'm completely opposed to their music, more that I'm completely indifferent to it.

Some things I'm excited about this weekend:
-Seeing many good friends
-AOII gathering this afternoon
-Softball Game
-Return to Old Cloverdale, the real O.C. if you will
-Chris' Hot Dogs tonight

My name is Samantha Lewis and it's CloverJam weekend

No comments: