Sunday, November 9, 2008

Weekend Update

Unfortunately the SNL weekend updates will be slightly less exciting now that the election is decided. On the other hand... OBAMA WON! I am very excited but keeping in mind that real change, according to the gospel, is only possible through Jesus. So, while this will be surface level better for the American people and the world, it is ultimately not as important as I've made it out to be. Social reform without the realization of Christ, is merely social reform... great for people who don't believe that Jesus is God.

In any event, life here in Oxford has been excellent. Last week I substituted EVERY DAY. It was indescribably exciting for me. The students were great and I had a good time. Wednesday was difficult given the nature of Tuesday's. I was up until 3:30 and had to be at school by 7:30... it was rough. I made it through though. It was an week of Chaucer and parenthetical citation. Who thought I would ever be enthusiastic about teaching these things? I was, however, enthusiastic. Chaucer=hilarious as long as you're not reading it for Dr. Gray in the Middle English without a translation, having her correct your pronunciation. I had one student tell me that they "really didn't like that one book Charles Dickens wrote, Moby Dick." I was not rude to them but it took a lot of restraint. I also told them about my favorite literary character, Bartleby the Scrivener, who refused to do ANYTHING responding with only "I'd prefer not to."

That's all for now.

My name is Samantha Lewis and I could write more but "I'd prefer not to."

No comments: